Flagship Program 2020 – Applications Accepted Now – Deadline June 30, 2019 – Apply today!
Flagship is the core Leadership Anne Arundel program. It includes an intense curriculum of civic information and leadership skills development. Each summer, approximately 25-40 individuals are selected for this comprehensive, hands-on, multi-disciplinary study of Anne Arundel County. The class is composed of a cross-section of the Anne Arundel County community, representing our ethnically, socially, economically, and geographically diverse population. Each year’s Flagship program has a different theme.
The ten-month program kicks off in September with an opening retreat. Participants meet for one full day each month. Throughout the program, participants gain an understanding of what constitutes leadership, as well as, an introduction to the infrastructure, natural resources, and current political issues of Anne Arundel County.
The program is based on a model that incorporates three key domains for developing community leaders: building community knowledge, developing leadership skills, and gaining a philosophical understanding of community trusteeship.
To build community knowledge, participants are introduced to critical regional issues, meet and discuss issues with leaders from the public, private and non-profit sectors, and identify areas of community need and methods required to succeed as community leaders.
Sessions focus on the following areas:
Economic Development & Bus Tour
Education & Technology
Health & Human Services
Law & Public Safety
The program provides participants with the opportunity to build upon and practice their leadership skills. They include identifying issues, inspiring a shared vision, challenging the process, modeling the way, fostering collaboration, holding values and encouraging the heart. Woven throughout the program are the philosophical concepts of community trusteeship that value a deep commitment to the community by envisioning a preferred future, empowering others to act, and acting on behalf of the common good for all concerned.
The goal of group projects is to identify a community problem, and design and implement an action plan to help resolve the problem. Through the project teams, participants practice their new leadership skills while providing a valuable community service.
A year-end retreat is held in June to acknowledge and celebrate the class’s achievements. Many graduates go on to use their leadership skills to serve the community as founders of social programs, board members of non-profit organizations, or elected officials.
Prospective candidates are encouraged to download and submit the completed application. The program is tuition-based with some limited scholarship assistance available.
The tuition rate for Flagship 2020 $3,800. The discounted tuition rate is $3,050**.
**The discounted rate is for non-profits (charitable, educational, fraternal and governmental entities), individuals, and small businesses (no more than 5 employees).
Flagship sessions (2018 – 2019) – venues rotate around the county:
- September 12 & 13, 2018 – Opening Retreat
- October 11, 2018 – Government Day
- November 8, 2018 – County Bus Tour
- December 13, 2018 – Health & Human Services Day
- January 10, 2019 – Cultural Arts Day
- February 14, 2019 – Education & Technology Day
- March 14, 2019 – Law & Public Safety Day
- April 11, 2019 – Environment Day
- May 9, 2019 – Agriculture/South County Day
- June 13, 2019 – Closing Retreat
Flagship sessions (2019 – 2020) – venues rotate around the county:
- September 11 & 12, 2019 – Opening Retreat & Kickoff Reception
- October 10, 2019 – Government Day
- November 14, 2019 – Economic Development & Bus Tour
- December 12, 2019 – Cultural Arts Day
- January 9, 2020 – Education & Technology Day
- February 13, 2020 –Health & Human Services Day
- March 12, 2020 – Law & Public Safety Day
- April 9, 2020 – Environment Day
- May 14, 2020 – Agriculture/South County Day
- June 11, 2020 – Closing Retreat
Questions? Contact Kris Valerio Shock at (443) 306-9322 or firstname.lastname@example.org.